Sir Winston Churchill KG OM CH TD PC DL FRS RA is played by actor John Lithgow. Winston Churchill served as the Prime Minster of the United Kingdom from 1940 - 1945 under King George VI, then again from 1951 - 1955 under Queen Elizabeth II.
Life EditWinston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was born into two aristocratic families on November 30 1874 at Blenheim Palace in Woodstock, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom. As a member of the Churchill family, he is related to the Dukes of Marlborough, and as a member of the Spencer family, to the Earls Spencer; the current earl is the elder brother of the late Diana, Princess of Wales. His father, Lord Randolph Churchill, was a Tory politician, and his mother, Jennie Jerome, was an American "buccaneer", one of the first wealthy American heiresses to marry into aristocratic, but impoverished British families in the late 1800s, making him (technically) an American citizen as well. Churchill was also the nephew of the 7th Duke of Marlborough, his father's elder brother.
Churchill's Honors Edit
It is customary that high-ranking and aristocratic British citizens will include in their names abbreviations indicating honors earned. Churchill's honors include:
- KG: Most Noble Order of the Garter
- OM: Order of Merit (Ordre du Mérite, France)
- CH: Order of the Companions of Honour
- TD: Territorial Decoration
- PC: Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council
- DL: Deputy Lieutenant
- FRS: Fellowship of the Royal Society
- RA: Member of the Royal Academy of Arts, earned for his accomplishments as a painter